Cooling Marshes, Kent, 7th December 2014

Saturday 13 November 2010

Shades of blue

Today started so brightly. Whilst walking to the DLR through Brookmill Park this morning, a small strand of green space that follows the course of the Ravensbourne between Elverson Road and Deptford Bridge, I spotted a Kingfisher! I knew from the London Birders website that Kingfisher was regularly listed there but despite keeping my eyes open I've never seen one. I hadn't expected the cool, damp, overcast conditions to bring much in the way of birdlife but there it was- a little electric blue flash skimming over the surface of the river! It then gave a great view perched atop some overhanging scrub for a minute or so before it disappeared out of sight into trees on the other side. I was so engrossed by this encounter that I forgot I was supposed to be hurrying to work!

Some acknowledgment should be made of Lewisham Council and the site's managers Glendale Services, since they are clearly doing something right if birds like Kingfishers are being attracted to our urban waterways. What a cheery encounter, it's amazing what you can find in the city if you look.

Unfortunately my mood was spoiled when I saw the cover story in The Independent today. The coalition certainly isn't making many friends this week:

It makes for sorry reading. Would it really cost so much to make some sympathetic changes?

No comments:

Post a Comment