Cooling Marshes, Kent, 7th December 2014

Friday 15 April 2011

Ireland Birding - pt.2


After a few memorable days on the Beara Peninsular at the end of March, I swapped Gannets for geese as I travelled up to the pleasant coastal village of Portmarnock (just north of Dublin) to visit family. As an added bonus, Portmarnock is surrounded by some superb esturine habitats and the area happens to be home every year to a large gathering of Brent Geese (Branta bernicla). These geese occur in two main ‘races’ (or sub-species) and both are widespread winter migrants to British Isles.
Portmarnock  is significant however because it is an internationally important wintering ground for the scarcer Greenlandic pale-bellied race (Branta bernicla hrota) of Brent Geese which breed in northern Canada and migrate to the UK via Iceland. This area of Ireland holds the majority of their population (quite small, estimated at 40,000 birds) with only small flocks found elsewhere in Ireland and northern Scotland. The dark-bellied race (Branta bernicla bernicla) which occurs in England during the winter (and which I saw on the coast of Essex in February) breed in northern Russia/Siberia hence why they are found in large numbers on our east coasts. Within minutes of leaving Portmarnock station I encounter these birds at close quarters, feeding on the short grass of the floodplain. As geese go they are smaller and more reserved than Canada Geese and although the difference between the dark-bellied race is subtle it's nice to have been able to view the two races just a month or two apart.
pale-bellied Brent Geese grazing, Portmarnock, Co Dublin, 24/3/11
Brent Geese in flight
The birding wasn't confined to geese though and my Aunt was kind enough to tip me off about the nearby, picturesque Howth peninsular which is home every year to 5 species of Tern (including the rare Roseate Tern) Terns are great birds to watch and with spring underway I headed for Howth with hopes of catching some early migrants.
Unfortunately, despite a good look, I couldn't find any Terns this time (a touch early perhaps or the sandy/shingle beaches they prefer were beyond my reach) but I didn't come away disappointed. A beautiful cliff top walk revealed great views of Kittiwakes, one of my favourite sea birds, gathering noisily on an adjacent cliff face. I hear their giveaway 'kee-ee-waa' calls long before I see them. Among Kittiwakes and other gulls in the colony are Guillemots, their sleek white undersides visible on the shady ledges. A little further along, while watching a number of Cormorants, Shags and gulls passing through and keeping a wishful eye out for divers I come across another first for me - a small group of Razorbills feeding in the harbour. Lovely.
Seabird colony, Howth, 25/3/11
Rock Pipit, Howth, 25/3/11
A good day's birding in Howth was topped off with wonderful company, homemade pizza and several pints of Guinness. And what more can you ask for really? My first time in Ireland and, like the geese, I'm certain it won't be my last.
Brent Geese gearing up for the long journey home, Malahide, Co Dublin, 27/3/11

No comments:

Post a Comment