Cooling Marshes, Kent, 7th December 2014

Monday 9 May 2011

Hobby Heaven!

There are certain birds that every birdwatcher is keen to catch up with each spring. The first returning migrant is always a welcome moment; perhaps a Chiffchaff singing it's repetitive song from atop a tree or a Sand Martin darting through a local waterway. Bar an elusive House Martin and the ID challenge posed by a Lesser Whitethroat, so far my spring list is healthy. I've loved being able to record my first Swallow, Reed Warbler and Cuckoo of the year in the last month. But there is one bird in particular that I've wanted to see for a while.

It was my friend Jo who spotted it first, as a dark speck in the sky, wheeling far above some distant pylons on the River Lea in north east London. Moving fast and easy on long, pointed wings I initially thought it was an early Swift. But as it neared and the markings became more obvious I realised I was looking at my first Hobby.



Hobby (Falco subbuteo) photo borrowed from RSPB Images
The Hobby is a small Kestrel-sized falcon that winters in sub-saharan Africa and migrates to its northern breeding grounds in spring. It has markings similar to a Peregrine (note the dark, facial 'moustache') but is smaller and can be told apart by its pale, streaked underside and reddish 'thighs' (as this photo shows) In flight Hobbies are fast and agile which enables them to catch large flying insects in their talons that they can then, rather impressively, eat in mid-flight. They are also able to catch smaller birds such as pipits, martins and swallows which become their main food source later in the season.


I was thrilled with my first encounter with a Hobby so you can imagine how I felt later that afternoon as I stood watching seven individuals gracefully terrorise the insect population of Lee Valley Park. At one point they were even joined in the air by a Buzzard and two Sparrowhawks. I was rooted to the spot and it was only at the promise of ice cream and a cold beer that I was lured away. Hobbies are superbly elegant aerial hunters, beautiful and hypnotic to watch, I look forward to welcoming them back every spring.


Pics and footage:
Hobby over Friday Lake, Lee Valley, 25/4/11
In-flight. Not a great photo (they move fast!) but you can make out it's rufous underparts and it demonstrates their distinctive wing shape in profile. It's easy to see how they can be mistaken for swifts at a distance

No comments:

Post a Comment