Cooling Marshes, Kent, 7th December 2014

Tuesday 6 November 2012

A Silent Slaughter

What they don't put on the postcards

I’ve followed the work of the German group Committee Against Bird Slaughter (CABS) for a while now. I’ve been impressed by their relentless campaigning against the persecution of birds across Europe, often alongside groups such as Birdlife but often striking out on their own in areas less widely known as being certain black holes for birds. Without them I might never have read about the plight of Ortolan Buntings in the south of France or the efforts to conserve breeding pairs of Bonelli’s Eagle in Sicily. Through this I heard about the annual ‘camp’ in Brescia, Northern Italy, set up every year since 1984 to monitor, prevent and inform on the widespread illegal poaching that occurs in the region every autumn. The area is famed for its beautiful lakes: Garda, Como, Iseo - all desirable tourist spots, but you rarely hear about the birds silently disappearing in the hills and valleys all around. The chance to volunteer for a worthwhile cause, in an area I’d never been to was an exciting prospect, so the Saturday before last I flew to Bergamo for a week.

Upon arriving I had a message saying I would be met shortly by a “tall, nearly hairless German” who I couldn’t miss. This proved to be a more than adequate description and my hairless lift soon arrived to take me to meet the rest of the team. I had no idea what to expect from the week before I went, would I be shocked or angry or nervous? Or perhaps it wouldn’t be as bad as I thought? I guess all these feelings came to be at some point during the week, but I knew as I stood watching birds flit through the gardens of the hotel early on the first morning and the first cracks of gunshots rang out from the hills nearby, I was curiously looking forward to it all.

The laws pertaining to bird hunting in the Lombardy region seem like a tangled web. Shooting is permitted 5 days a week to licensed hunters and the legal quarry amounts to some 37 species – including ducks and waders but the majority small passerines. It was hard to accept that the shots I heard, sending birds like Song Thrush, Skylark, Blackbird and Redwing plummeting from the sky, I just had to reluctantly get used to. Apparently there are 40,000 registered hunters in the Brescia area alone, each with permission to harvest the skies of 30 birds a day for 60 days a year*. You can do the maths if you want. It’s appalling and I’m shocked how it gets past the EU Birds Directive. You can’t avoid seeing or hearing the hunters, from dawn to dusk every day bar Tuesday and Friday when hunting is not allowed (I don’t suppose birds have got anywhere to keep a pocket diary?) shots would ring out at intervals, the hillsides are pock marked with small capanos – private shooting ranges. Of course with so much legal shooting it’s likely that other birds are shot illegally too - we recovered a wounded Brambling, observed illegal Siskin decoys and observed a hunter we suspected tried to shoot a Nuthatch in frustration. Trapping of birds is even allowed at some installations called Rucculo where with a permit, live trapping for hunters’ decoy birds is allowed. Birds are lured in by decoys or food and then spooked into nets before being caged and presumably spending the rest of their lives unwittingly calling members of their same species to their deaths.

And then there’s the illegal killing – the trapping of birds, by numerous means, by and large for profit. Cruel bow or archetti traps, ‘snap traps’ (trappoli) and mist nets are illegal, yet as I found, still widely used in the area - the majority in remote villages, away from prying eyes. Birds caught in these, if live, may be sold as decoys for hundreds of euros (I was amazed by this), sold to restaurants where traditional ‘delicacies’ are still served despite being outlawed, or simply eaten by the poacher. I understand that in centuries past, birds may have represented a valuable, seasonal meal for rural people but times have changed. Illegal archetti, snap traps and mist nets are what we set out to find.

Following breakfast every day the group met for a briefing which laid out the plan for the day. CABS work closely with the Italian Forest Police, a dedicated team whose aim is to catch poachers in the act in order to prosecute. And our aims, in most cases, revolved around this – quietly checking the remote valleys between the lakes Iseo and Idro, a trapping hotspot, for traps and if present, informing the police. Leaving a trap or net standing might not be easy and birds may die, but nailing a poacher may ultimately end up saving more.

On the first day, in pairs, we were given an area to cover and I learned from an experienced volunteer what to look out for. As we hiked up through spectacular alpine scenery and skirted remote cabins, I checked for odd tracks and casual pathways in the grass, notches cut on young trees and clearings in woods – all things that might suggest a trapping site. There were some days when we found nothing and other days when we did. At our last stop on my first day, we checked an area that had been flagged as a possible trapping site. Close to a property and with dogs barking nearby, I admit I was uneasy. As we moved quietly through the scrub, my companion stopped and pointed at some bright red berries stuck to a notch cut into a tree. In the fading light they almost glowed and then I saw the archetti trap below. As I saw one, I turned and realised they were all around us, on metre high sticks set in the ground in rows. I lost count how many in the end, but more than 20. They were recently set and so we noted the location to the pass on the info. In one we found a Robin, hanging upside down, the cord wrapped tightly round its crushed legs. This we freed but it was too late.



The rest of the week took us to a number of different places, some remote and some not so. On one occasion we checked a site where a poacher had been caught with archetti traps set the previous year, it was pleasing to find this time there were none. At another spot in a small town in a valley we found a mist net and several snap traps just 50 metres from a school yard. In another valley we found four illegal mist nets - they were not big sites but each held birds: Blackbird, Song Thrush, Robin, some dead already. In this case we removed the nets and freed what we could. Unattended and unmanaged, fine, mesh ‘mist nets’ are death traps for birds. Even whilst looking out for them it was easy to go within several feet of one without realising it was there.

During the course of the week it was great to talk with the rest of the volunteers, who during my visit were all German or Italian. It was interesting to hear what motivated people to come, people from different backgrounds with different interests; during the week I met a lawyer, an electrician and a farmer among others. Not everyone shared my particular passion for birds but everyone recognised what was right and the chance to make a real change. Working with Alex, the camp organiser was a great experience. An energetic, passionate guy, top botanist and grasshopper geek, it was a lesson to watch him breathlessly traverse steep, scrubby slopes while giving instructions on his mobile! I was interested to find out how CABS had changed over the years and the changes he described showed a logical and I think effective, evolution. Occasionally regarded in the past as ‘militant’ in their approach due to not shying away from confrontation, there is now emphasis on working with police and local groups, networking and holding regular meetings with MEPs in Brussels. They’re still not afraid to “kick stones” or be pro-active on the ground and that’s good – from what I saw a combination of both seems to be an efficient way of working. Throughout the week I was told that the situation in Lombardy has improved considerably over 25 years. There may be lots of reasons for that – police presence, political lobbying, increased awareness and a shift in generational attitudes, I don’t know...but the work of CABS is undeniably a massive part of that. They are eyes on ears on the ground, working hard to make real changes and the best of a bad situation. Long may it continue.

But it’s not over yet.

Just before I left, I heard that the police had successfully caught the poacher from the site with the archetti I checked on the first day. He was catching birds to sell in his brother’s restaurant down the road. I don’t know what punishment was handed out although I was told that in most cases it amounts to a fine of several hundred euros although it can depend on other things such as the scale of the incident. I guess you could argue about the effectiveness of that but at least it’s a deterrent.

There were some low points across the week but ultimately it was a unique experience and I left feeling really positive about what the group and I personally had achieved. The days were long and hard and exhilarating but I loved every blistered moment hiking and climbing through the hills. There were few moments to really enjoy the scenery or the birds and other wildlife we came across (I’ll save that for another post) but that’s not why I went after all. This is just a small part of a much bigger problem. Throughout Europe, birds suffer horrific persecution year on year and that has to stop. 



Links:

Thanks to all the volunteers I met on the trip (and for all the translating help!) Thanks To Alex for the photo above. Thanks for reading as ever, spread the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment