Cooling Marshes, Kent, 7th December 2014

Thursday 4 April 2013

Crossing paths

I saw my first Swallow of the year today, closely followed by my second. This is normally a moment to saviour as their arrival traditionally heralds brighter, warmer days, but those seemed so very far away as these two early arrivals battered their way north in the gently falling snow of Mayesbrook Park in East London. The birds, apparently the first for London this year, flew low - one no more than two or three metres from my boot and barely an inch above the surface of the shallow brook. This is behaviour typically observed in the most difficult conditions as birds attempt to glean whatever few insects may be about as well try and make use of any sheltered areas. Within a minute they had disappeared from view up the stream and over the houses in the distance. I cannot think of  a more apt sight to illustrate this desperate start to spring and the confusing, worrying signs of change.

We are in that funny period now as lingering winter migrants cross paths with spring migrants. Today, after the swallows, I came across an equally iconic winter visitor - Waxwings (I've never had those on the same day before!) The latter were present in the park when I arrived in the morning and I could hear their sweet trilling calls every now and then as I worked. Heading home later I was just outside the park when their calls filtered into my consciousness again and, looking up, I saw the tree in front of me was full of them! After a while they shot across the road and began feeding on a straggly Cotoneaster, conveniently placed right next to a bus stop. I followed and after a short wait using the bus stop as a temporary hide, they returned and gave amazing views just two or three metres from me. These migrants were no doubt faring better in the conditions but still have a long journey ahead. Amazing birds - probably won't see them again for a while so a good excuse for another round of photos...







Waxwings (Bombycilla garrulus), Upney Lane, nr Barking, London, 4/4/13

2 comments:

  1. Hi - great to hear that swallows have been spotted, albeit worrying to hear in rather desperate circumstances. Would those birds you saw now be likely to make it or could they likely die? I guess it all depends on whether the weather turns milder over the next week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kirsten, it was great to see the swallows albeit in unusual conditions! The availability of airborne insects is the biggest concern for them at the moment and it won't be easy... but fingers crossed they were able to avoid the worst of it and better weather is on its way. P

    ReplyDelete