Cooling Marshes, Kent, 7th December 2014

Saturday 29 March 2014

Hoopoe at Snodland

In a little over twenty four hours I'll be on my way to Extremadura in Spain, via Madrid. There's a fair chance I'll encounter a Hoopoe or two while I'm there, accustomed as they are to the sheltered groves and rich plains of western Spain. But it turns out I needn't have bothered - why go to Spain when you can go to Snodland?!

A few photos of the superb Hoopoe at Snodland this afternoon:



Hoopoe (Upupa epops) Snodland, 29/3/14

After a very enjoyable visit to Cliffe this morning, I stopped at Snodland for a look at the Hoopoe which has (remarkably) been present in the area since late-November. With the bird having kept a low profile for much of the winter, it was an opportunity to see a much-anticipated new bird for me in Britain and Kent, having missed it twice last week. Thankfully, this time I was put onto the bird straight away by another birder and had great views of it for half an hour as it spent some time preening on a low branch and then feeding energetically on the close cropped lawn at the back of the farm house. As I watched, it made short work of a number of worms and grubs, with its distinct, curved bill and looked comfortable in its adopted home north of its European breeding range. A fantastic bird and a great way to start the holiday!

Back soon - cheers!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Peter,

    I'm hoping to see the Hoopoe soon, where is the correct place to park? Also which areas does it favor most?

    Thanks, Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jack

    The bird is fairly mobile but seems to favour the large lawn at the back of the farmhouse. I'm not sure what parking is like at the golf course but I parked in one of the discreet laybys near the junction of Snodland Rd and Sandy Lane. From here walk down Sandy Lane, bearing left at the bottom past a few houses. Keep straight (ignore footpath veering left) and the road becomes another footpath. Follow this path where it turns right and the viewing point is just a few metres along. Look for a slightly trampled area near the fence and view the garden. I understand it has also been seen on the golf course further down.

    Best of luck - Peter

    ReplyDelete