Cooling Marshes, Kent, 7th December 2014

Tuesday 9 October 2012

People Power?

I had a nice letter from my MP Gareth Johnson (Dartford) the other day. Well it looked nice, all crisply folded with a fancy heading. Like a lot of other people I wrote to my MP to point out and explain my extreme disappointment at the government's decision to press on with a cull of badgers despite good science, conservation knowledge and an admirable public response going against it. I wasn't expecting a miracle but I thought he should know how at least one potential voter felt about it. At best, for what is rightfully proving to be a controversial issue, I think I was probably expecting a 'thanks, I'll pass that on' type response so I was surprised to receive what seemed like a more personal response on the subject.

Unfortunately that response was, in short - 'it's happening, deal with it'. Apparently, vaccination instead of culling is "not currently a viable option" and he fears that "if this action does not take place even more suffering will be inflicted upon both cattle and the badger population in the longer term". I'd like him to read this insightful article but anyway, we've been there. I suppose it's probably no surprise that these are the words of a Conservative party member and in keeping with the party line. With this said, despite his stance, I think I actually appreciate him being honest, it's good to know where we stand. At the end day, it's disappointing that he doesn't share my views but that's life, it probably won't be the last time! And it just makes me more determined to speak out for nature.

So far 150,000 people have signed the petition to stop the cull which is really encouraging I think and regardless of the outcome, significant. Petitions might seem dry and ineffective but they are an important means of reaching people who might otherwise have not been prompted to act. Aside from maintaining momentum, another challenge will now be encouraging those people to get behind other causes too. Why have 150,000 people signed a petition against a badger cull, but only 10,000 signed a petition to introduce tougher measures against those who actively encourage the barbaric persecution of raptors in England? I guess the same could be said for a lot of things. It's a challenge, but a good one.

To any readers who haven't already, please sign this petition to introduce the offence of vicarious liability for raptor persecution in England. This  holds landowners/employers accountable for actions of their employees and will help create further deterrents against this horrific wildlife crime. It seems all the more pertinent today:


Why not tell your MP about it and let them know what you think? Or quiz them on climate change or a local environmental issue? The question mark in the title was intended; we have a voice and we shouldn't take 'no' for answer.












No comments:

Post a Comment