Cooling Marshes, Kent, 7th December 2014

Monday 8 October 2012

Sheppey: SEO and LEO in a day

Noting a slight shift in the winds at the tail end of last week, back to Northerlies, I thought it might be time for another trip over to the Isle of Sheppey on Saturday. I hadn't been since spring so I was looking forward to it. I hatched a plan on the way over to start at the top and work my way down the eastern coast towards Shellness. Arriving at Warden Bay just after 9am, I was soon making my way up through the scrub at the top of the heavily eroded cliffs. Less than a minute from the car park I picked up the first of many Goldcrests in the dense Blackthorn - no doubt a fresh arrival from the continent, they've been very noticeable even in London this past week. Having heard that a Yellow-browed Warbler had been found here the weekend before I kept going up past the caravan park towards the point. Here Chiffchaffs occupied just about every available bush or tree, their incessant calls ringing out wherever I went. At the point I met another birder who turns out was the one who found the YB the previous weekend and he pointed out where (Good to meet you Gavin). There was a lot of activity in the scrub slumped down the cliff face but mostly Chiffs and assorted tits. We walked around the area for a bit, hoping that something nice might have come in but 3 swallows going north and a couple of Jays were about it. The latter is apparently a rare bird for Sheppey so these were no doubt a result of the staggering irruption for this species along the east coast currently.

For the next stop I had planned to park at Muswell Manor and take in the fields down to the hamlet. Last year the grazed fields regularly held Hen Harriers and quite a few waders so I was surprised (and a little disappointed) to find that since my last visit, the whole area has been ploughed up and converted to arable. A vast tract of land next to the Swale NNR now seems to be growing what looks like corn but might apparently be a biofuel crop. Interesting. As a result with nothing to see, we went to straight to Shellness to see what was about. Joining a few of the regular watchers there it wasn't long before a juvenile Gannet was picked up moving East. The mussel beds were teeming with Oystercatcher, Redshank and Curlew, among them a few Black-tailed Godwits and Grey Plover. It was nice to see a few small flocks of Brent Geese arriving back in their wintering quarters. After a while, all the oystercatchers went up and scanning to see what might have caused it I was absolutely chuffed to find a Short-eared Owl coming in off the sea right in front of us! The views couldn't have been better as it came in over our heads, perfectly clear in warm light against the blue sky. The bird then dipped out of view into the marsh behind the hamlet. An awesome sight.

Oystercatchers (Haematopus ostralegus) take flight as the tide rises, Shellness. 

The hamlet of Shellness from the old sea wall, Swale NNR.

At this point the wind had virtually ceased and after a little bit more watching I decided to take a walk around the area. A Wheatear popped up on the sea wall, a Kestrel hovered over the marsh and hordes of meadow pipits darted about on the beach. Watching a distant Buzzard being mobbed by crows I headed round to Capel Fleet to see what was about. It was only mid-afternoon but there were still a few Marsh Harriers on view, coming and going over the reedbeds. A Kingfisher gave good views as it perched on a broken stem over the fleet and a hundred or so Lapwing shifted in the field behind. At one point the birds were spooked into flight and I was able to find the reason - a Merlin drifting above them. Elsewhere, a sudden surge of swallows moved across the fields as I sat enjoying the surroundings and the warm autumn sun on my back.

Before heading off to watch the football I popped into Kingshill Farm on Elmley Marshes for a bit where a Long-eared Owl had been present for a while, showing well at roost in its usual patch of orchard. And so it was - brilliant views of a bird I've only ever seen at dusk before. Beautiful - not a bad way to finish an excellent day out.

There's a Long-eared Owl (Asio otus) in there somewhere. Kingshill Farm, Elmley 6/10/12

No comments:

Post a Comment