Cooling Marshes, Kent, 7th December 2014

Thursday 3 January 2013

A New Year


I was back at work today after the break and a blissful New Year buried deep in the Norfolk countryside. It felt like going back to school, save one difference being that I don't get told off if my uniform is muddy now, (in fact, there'd probably be questions if it wasn't). In the park, restless great tits darted about the branches and I heard a Dunnock singing for the first time in a while. Although I doubt very much it recognises a calender, this seemed fitting and on cue, for a Dunnock the passing time is heralded by more primal urges.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the done thing now is to indulge my memories of the last year a little bit, y'know: the birds, the lists, the numbers, the one that got away (wait, don't leave!) But for the most part I think I'll keep it brief this time, it's all there below if you feel the need. I think all I need to say is that although nature had a tough time of it, I'm thankful that I had a great year birdwatching in 2012. I saw some birds for the first time and many more apart. I met some amazing people and sadly said goodbye to another. I finished a placement in North Kent that I'll never forget and moved back to the city for a job that feels like a first step in the right direction. Of course, the birds here are different, fewer in number and species, but that hasn't stopped the emergence of a local bird group of which I am very fond - that would be a highlight of the year for me. I travelled a bit to see friends around Europe - marvelling at a Black Redstart which hopped onto Adam and Sarah's balcony in central Lisbon and being entranced by the spotted flycatchers that flitted among trees in a park near Paris. Then there was a trip to Italy which was memorable for different reasons. Conversely, I guess I never made it far in the UK, in fact I didn't make it further north than Lincoln. Ha! With the latter revelation in mind, I'm still pleased with the 173 species I saw in the UK last year. What was my favourite I hear you cry?! Well, I guess those guys in this blogs header bar come close...but I'd probably have to say that any year which features a new Wheatear species counts as a good one.

I think this year I'll try to make more of an effort to see some of the native birds that I'm missing in every sense. It's been three years since I saw a Wood Warbler or a Pied Flycatcher and I've still never seen a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker or Hawfinch. First though, I have to get my head around some other new birds in preparation for a trip next month...


...I'm crossing off the days.

So, 2013 - I wonder what it'll hold? There's no doubt that much of our wildlife will continue to experience the struggles seen last year, but for now, here's to a good one. Here's to turtle doves and common sense, goshawks, harriers and education. Here's to all the little things that make this place great. Thanks for reading, have a happy New Year.

Red Kite photo by Cathy, this bird was soaring over a skylight as her family ate Christmas dinner near Leeds - Thanks!


2 comments:

  1. Very envious of your trip to India! Impressive number of species this year, I haven't got around to adding mine up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lou! I'm really excited about it, hopefully there'll be lots to see. It'll be like starting again!

    ReplyDelete