Cooling Marshes, Kent, 7th December 2014

Friday 2 August 2013

Oaken Wood

A couple of weeks ago I read about the plight of Oaken Wood, an ancient woodland in my home county of Kent. I'm sad to say I've never visited it and even sadder to say I won't ever have a chance to now. The site had been fighting a planning application for expansion from a neighbouring quarry for some time; as quickly as I heard about it, news went out that the application was approved and with that, 32ha of precious woodland habitat supporting species such as Nightingale, Hazel dormouse, common lizard and at least six species of bat was lost forever.

I was reminded of it at work today and in particular the implausibly twattish comments from Eric Pickles - secretary of state at the Department of Communities and Local Government. I thought I'd post them here for posterity, just in case I ever feel low on inspiration:

"The very considerable need for both crushed rock aggregates and dimension stone, together with the eventual biodiversity improvements, and the ongoing socioeconomic benefits, would clearly outweigh the loss of the ancient woodland and the other adverse effects of the development in this case."

It's quite remarkable how totally misinformed a single sentence could be. I don't even need to pick it apart, it's 'clearly' there for all to see. I would suggest though that someone has a quiet word in his ear to explain what the term 'ancient woodland' means.

The Woodland Trust posted this response; I feel very much like Catherine does at the bottom too -
"I have a great sense of loss. Our heritage is being stolen and destroyed in broad daylight."

Is this a test case for the new National Planning Policy Framework though, as the media suggest? I'm not sure - given the outcome, that would seem to encourage a fairly defeatist way of thinking. The chronic short-term approach promoted by this government may have caught on with local councils but I don't want to believe it's all over yet.

What used to be called an ancient woodland. Hermitage Quarry nr Maidstone, Kent
(Photo credit: Woodland Trust)


PS Thanks DG

No comments:

Post a Comment